By popular demand, here is the recipe I used for the Frito Pie that I made at this month’s campout. It might not be the best backpacking recipe due to the weight of the cans and dutch oven, but it sure is a tasty camp meal.
For those who aren’t already in the know, it’s basically chili with Fritos and cheese on top. Expect the meal to be slightly spicy. This will make enough for a dozen or so people.
- (1) 28oz can ground beef
- (2) 15oz cans Rotel Tomatoes
- (1) 15oz can black beans
- (1) 15oz can kidney beans
- (2) 15oz can tomato sauce
- (1) bag fritos
- (1) bag shredded cheddar cheese
- Cayenne pepper, to taste
- Open all the cans and put them into your dutch oven.
- Add cayenne pepper and mix well.
- Add the Fritos in a single layer on top of the chili mixture. DO NOT MIX
- Add the cheese on top of the Frito layer. DO NOT MIX
- Put the lid on your dutch oven and heat it at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes.